Hello there, and welcome to the launch of our new blog- the “Mean, Green, Eating Machine”!
Each bounty our members receive is stocked full of fresh new opportunities to experiment in the kitchen. In addition to the delicious recipes listed in our weekly newsletter, here you can find even more fresh tips about ways to enjoy your new bundle of fruits and greens.
Included is this week’s bounty is CHARD, a vegetable used in many Mediterranean dishes. It has been ranked as one of the most healthy leafy greens you can put in your body, stock full of vitamins and antioxidants. However, it is not always the most common vegetable used in our dinners so here are some tips and recipes about how to include this legendary leafy green into your next meal!
- Be sure to rinse, not soak your chard; keep all those nutrients!
- It is recommended to boil your chard in order to extract some to the natural acids and bring out a sweeter taste. Depending on the size of the leaves and stems, cooking time varies. Follow this link to find out how long to boil your greens.
- Chard can be a great replacement for spinach and other dark leafy greens. Preparation can be as simple as tossing the leaves in olive oil and seasoning, or can be prepared with this recipe for Swiss Chard with Garbanzo Beans and Fresh Tomatoes.
Man, has it been HOT! Summer is in full swing and sometimes we need to beat the heat with a refreshing drink; here’s an opportunity to use those sweet juicy strawberries in season!
- This simple and delicious recipe for Strawberry Agua Fresca is guaranteed to hit the spot. It requires that you puree the strawberries, which can be easily done by throwing them in a food processor or blender after you have de-stemmed and quartered them. PLUS! You could even add some fresh Basil or Mint leaves to give it a little more flavor. You can find several other delicious, easy and (mostly) healthy recipes if you follow this link !
- Also, it goes without saying that strawberries make a fantastic addition to any dessert or sweet treat. Looking for a little guilt-free substitute? Use Organic Greek yogurt instead of Cool Whip or whipped cream to top your chopped strawberries, and drizzle a little honey over the mix to satisfy your sweet tooth.
I encourage you all to try at least one of these recipes.
Freshen up your food, and freshen up your life!